Thursday, October 16, 2008

Throwback Thursdays: Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Pt. II (1995)


Whenever I hear this song, it make me feel some sort of way. When the beat drops, it's just so gangsta. It's so street. It's so New York.

Frankly, I can't think of too many songs that are more representative of that New York feel than this one here. The only song that I can think of that even comes close would be, of course, this classic.

One interesting note about Shook Ones is that although it was Mobb Deep's first official single, it was undoubtedly their biggest song. In other words, the rest of their career never compared to their first record. Kinda sad, when you think about it.

To be honest, it would be hard for anyone to live up to this song. It's really a great record. The beat knocks crazy, and the lyrics contain gems like "Rock you in your face, stab your brain wit your nosebone." I can remember how amped I got when I was watching 8 Mile and this beat dropped for Rabbit's final freestyle.

So where are they now? Well, last I heard of Mobb Deep, they had signed with G-Unit in a last-minute attempt to sell records. That, of course, didn't work. Havoc supposedly dropped a solo album called "The Kush" in 2007, but I never heard any singles for it. And as for Prodigy, he got locked up for some gun possession charges, and claims the police tried to get him to frame 50 Cent.

He still managed to drop an album this past April, though. And if you don't know what H.N.I.C. means, step your game up.

No comments: