Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Throwback Thursday: Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day (1992)


"Just waking up in the morning, gotta thank God/ I don't know, but today seems kinda odd..."
What better way to celebrate Thanksgiving than to commemorate the song that described the perfect day?

I like this song. It's real mellow and smooth; it kinda reminds me of a calm Saturday afternoon, one of those days where you just sit back, chill, bump some music and be lazy. The Isley Brothers sample really does the trick here.

I know it's a holiday, so I won't exasperate you all with the usual history lesson that I tend to give on Throwback Thursdays. However, there is something that must get mentioned.

When you think of old-school Ice Cube, you're reminded of records like this, and more specifically, his AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted album, which solidified his spot in hip-hop history. As if being a part of the first commercially publicized gangsta rap group wasn't enough, he completely turned the tables with his debut solo album by laying down effective, politically-charged lyrics about the struggles of being black in America.

When you look at Ice Cube today, you almost forget about that guy. Nowadays, he's popularized himself as the B-list actor who makes movies like Are We There Yet? So please, somebody explain to me, how can anyone ever possibly go from this to this?? I'll never understand.

No comments: