Thursday, February 5, 2009

Throwback Thursdays: Junior M.A.F.I.A. feat. Notorious B.I.G. - Player's Anthem (1995)


Another request from an RLGL listener. 'Preciate the feedback, keep it comin'.

Ironically, I'm supposed to be going to see "Notorious" tonight, three weeks late. I was supposed to have seen it for the past two weeks now, but plans kept falling through. I hope it's good.

It's funny how most people consider both the above song and this record to be Biggie's songs, despite them not being his songs at all. Both songs were on Junior M.A.F.I.A.'s debut album Conspiracy, which was released after Biggie's debut Ready to Die. Obviously, they were really just a bunch of Big's cronies who were trying to ride their homeboy's coattails to success.

I'm not sure how much that actually worked out for them, considering that there were seven members of the group and I only know Lil' Kim and Lil' Cease. Kim went on to have a pretty successful career after Biggie died. That was, of course, until she committed perjury and changed her face multiple times.

The group broke up, like every rap supergroup inevitably does. Last I heard from Cease, he was releasing hood workout DVDs like he was fresh outta jail or something. Last I heard from Kim, she was on stage with her breasts popping out of her shirt.

Oh yeah, and there was the whole brouhaha with Kim being unhappy about the way she was portrayed in the "Notorious" movie. Of course, if you were a married man's jumpoff, and you're portrayed as such, can you still be mad?? I guess I'll have to see the movie for myself to determine if she has reason...

No comments: