Thursday, February 26, 2009

Throwback Thursdays: Timbaland & Magoo - All Y'all (2001)


Featuring Tweet and Sebastian, whoever the hell that is.

I really like the whole video idea where the camera keeps moving from spot to spot. Even though there are no particular camera tricks involved to hide that they're on a video set, I think the fluidity of it all makes it entertaining. I kinda wish more videos did this, instead of just having some rapper throw money and pose in front of 50 random people in his neighborhood (most of which he probably doesn't even know). I also enjoyed the random Bubba Sparxxx cameo at the 2:10 mark. He might need his own T-Thursday soon.

This song is reminiscent of the era when I really liked Timbaland. I thought this beat was nice. Not one of his best, but definitely similar to the sound he was making in the earlier parts of this decade. Nowadays, he seems to be focusing more on being some sort of pop-techno producer, which I personally am not a fan of. As far as Magoo is concerned, I know nothing about him other than that his voice sounded funny.

Tweet was pretty popular for like 14 months off the strength of that song she had where she was bragging about pleasuring herself. (DJ Diddles, anyone?) She had one more semi-hit before falling off the face of the earth. I'm not sure what happened to her, but I really liked the last song I heard from her, despite it not ever really becoming popular.

I'm really feeling that era of hip-hop from like 1999-2002, so you'll probably be getting a bunch of those in the next few weeks...

No comments: