Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's All Greek to Me



The weekend before Thanksgiving, I did some volunteer work. For the holiday season, one of the local churches I attend conducted an outreach service through which they delivered Thanksgiving meals to at-need families around the DC metro area. I was part of the loading & unloading team, which took 250 meal boxes off the delivery truck and then loaded them into the cars of the volunteers who were to present the meals to the families. After all of the volunteers had left, there were still about 50 boxes left unaccounted for. (Translation: multiple volunteers who had signed up to help deliver boxes didn't show up. Sigh.) So, the rest of us volunteers who were still there took what was left and helped to deliver the meals to the families that were expecting the boxes.

Why am I mentioning any of this? As I was heading home after volunteering, for some reason, Black fraternities and sororities came to mind. When I was in college, I remember the Greeks always mentioning volunteering as their main contribution to society as an organization. I always found it to be somewhat ironic whenever their community service was brought up, because for the most part, very little of it was ever made public. As a college student who never pledged, the things I most associated with Greeks were step shows, hearing them brag about their pledging process, and their strolling getting in my way when I was trying to dance up on a chick at a party. For this reason, I always wondered why these seemed to be the prevalent things that separated them from the rest of us instead of the alleged community service that was supposed to be the foundation for their organizations in the first place.

Furthermore, when you look at the mission statements for the NPHC fraternities, every one of them has a focus on providing service to the community (with the exception of Kappa Alpha Psi, whose only concern seems to be "being really good at everything"). I find it strange that service is such a common theme, yet most of the volunteer service being provided is done in private, unbeknownst to the rest of the college community. How can you attract like-minded individuals with your good deeds if they don't even know that it's being done?

Now don't get me wrong, I think that every non-Greek has had the idea of pledging cross their mind at least once. Even I thought about it for a quick second during my sophomore year (most of you can probably guess which frat I was thinking about). But I never went to an interest meeting, and truth be told, I only really thought about it when I was drunk at parties and I thought it would be cool to stroll around and throw up signs. Needless to say, it's probably better off that I never did it. I would wake up the next day, sober up, and think about whether I was really willing to sacrifice an entire college semester to be bitched around and get my ass beat on a nightly basis. Considering that I only had eight semesters of college, I wasn't willing to throw one away. Plus, I was too stubborn to have a group of my peers tell me what to do for 3 months, so I decided against it.

Which brings me to my next point: pledging. It always bothered me that pledging was such an accepted part of Greek life, yet every organization claims to be a "non-hazing organization". I realize that they have to lie because it's illegal, but a.) why would I want to join a brotherhood that has to lie to me before I even start and b.) why is pledging necessary in the first place? Is beating me with a red & white cane going to make me a better student? Is taking wood gonna make me a better role model?? I also always found it to be a little ass-backwards that most Greeks seems to boast more about what they endured to get into the organization than they boasted about anything productive that they did after they were a member. Not to mention, pledging leads to events like this, and then all the Greeks wanna act all remorseful when it happens. Maybe they should have considered the possible repercussions before they had those girls doing whatever they were doing in the middle of the night. And I have a very hard time believing that they were actually going to get their hair done at 6 in the morning... gimme a break.

I think my main beef with Black Greeks is the overall misrepresentation of the organizations' motives. It's pretty much common knowledge that the ideals that these organizations were built upon are no longer as vital to the fraternities' existence as they were when they were founded. It's not the 1910s anymore. Most people I know who are Greek didn't pledge with any intention of bettering their community or achieving any higher level of academic excellence. In fact, you usually hear the same reasons: "My dad was in the frat, so I wanted to continue the legacy." "My best friend wanted to do it, so I just decided to do it with him." "I figured if I made enough frat connections, it could help me get a job when I graduate." "Honestly, I just wanted to step." And let's not forget the other perks such as popularity and attracting groupies that a lot of guys think about but would never have the gall to admit to.

To be real, I don't even have a problem with any of these reasons. But if that's what makes people wanna join your organization, say that. Don't preach lofty goals about uplifting the community when half of your members are only in the frat so they can meet girls and stroll at parties. I have no problem with fraternities being strictly social communities, which is essentially what the white Greeks are. But if that's what Black Greeks wanna be as well, don't tell me that you're here to serve as a beacon of hope for the Black community. That's an insult to my intelligence, and I'm not that gullible.

This is not meant to be a post that simply bashes Greeks or their respective organizations. Many of my closest friends are Greek, including my best friend. I respect their decision to join Greek organizations. But I didn't need a fraternity to perform community service in college, and I don't need one to perform good deeds now. As a middle school teacher, I feel that I promote scholarship and serve as more of a role model than most of the Greeks I know, and I didn't need to pledge to do it. So, at the end of the day, what's the real purpose? I have a hard time seeing a good one.

6 comments:

Rae Ruckus said...

Well I look at it like this. Greek life isn't perfect, just like democracy, capitalism, or any ideology. It's an organization like any other business that has ideals, and then has individuals that are going to perform the principals on their own accord.

Yes, they are all community based organizations. And Yes, there's always community service done throughout all frats and sororities, but as an outsider, you wouldn't know, cause few people wear letters after they are graduated.

I'm sure some of the people that were helping you move boxes were Greek.

As for joining for whatever reason. That's like asking a white people why they are democratic or republican. They can give you an array of answers, but if you're of the opposite party, you will only have to disagree.

Fraternities and Sororities haven't been the same since pledging became illegal 1989 and the same procedures that have been going down since 1906, can't be imitated as they were before, so then things had to go "Underground". Practices that were visual to a college campus are now only dummied down to the students that are Greek or aware of what's going on. Colleges and Universities, especially predominantly white schools are using their power to cut down whatever rituals and procedures that Black Frats and Sorors use for their "process".

Just like other organizations made for the uplifting of the black community, NAACP, just to name one, are lacking a formidable voice in our community, even if it's trying to help give food to the homeless or stand up for Jena 6.

I really don't think Black Fraternities or Sororities are a fraud, because there are many things that members receive from joining besides the things they wanted to get from initially joining. How far you want to get involved is definitely up to each member and how much they were receive from their organization.

Personally, I don't like community service. It was never a reason to join a fraternity in my eyes. I was more attracted to the brotherhood, belonging to a group of men that are looking toward the upward movement of a declining black male population. I was able to gain brothers, enlightenment about black history/heritage, and a place to lay my head in Philadelphia whenever I go there and some other things.

Fraud no.. just another organization like any other that isn't living up to it's full potential, Yes.

Johnson said...

I read this just to tickle my brain, it's pretty good. In my mind to make greeks have a greater impact they have to create two levels and become more exclusive. One level should be pledging which should be a four year process while you're in college not just a semester. Anyone from any school should be able to apply through a central site and once you complete college and have you're degree. Based upon your merits and tasks i.e "community service" then and only then can you become a man or woman of an established organization. For example and I want you guyz to look this up on facebook.http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5633504599

That right there is the boarding school I went to from age 7 until 11. I haven't seen or spoken to half these dudes in 12yrs but the memories we share cuz it took time make us who we are. Some of em are dead, 90% of all the kids that went to the school in 10yrs will either be doctors, lawyers, mayors and we are all over the globe. Someone just hit me up and he's in Germany, London and we are still to the day competing against each other. One or atleast 3 of us will become a President. Even now we plan to start meetin n talking to improve our countries.

All in all from this saying, I am basically saying that based upon the power that frats have. It wouldnt be smart to give it away in such a short time period to people that only proved themselves for 3months. Think about it, nothing in life that's significant can be achieved in just 3 months. Reach out to the best, that could mean someone who didn't even go to school, and let time play it's course. In FBLA we had members but we also had exclusivity in where we this group of 21 still talk till today. It all took time.

4yrs to pledge and u can rep who u pledging but then after u graduate separate the men from the boys and earn ur letters rite at graduation from the main Greek center. One boy cannot put another boy thru tuff times and get up a call em a man. Men make men, same for women.

So if Joel let's say for example just put his application in when he got to the U. Did good in school, got a good job,volunteered, lived his normal life and in the end based upon his merits gets awarded letters. This would mean much more than a mere 3months of ass whoopings. Look at any HOF of fame, it's always about the full picture. Become exclusive!

Rae remember the state officers of FBLA,http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=264578277836

Esther said...

Well first I'm impressed? that you spent your Thanksgiving delivering turkeys in DC instead of flying to GA - and offended by those who signed up and didn't go :(

I'm also intrigued that this made you think of fraternities and sororities. Your point about these organizations referring to volunteerism as their main contribution to society - either someone lied to you or you misunderstood... while it may remain one of many components of what makes up many of these organizations it is definitely not, particularly in modern years and specifically at the collegiate level, the MAIN thing that distinguishes them from others. ANYONE can sign up to deliver a turkey - you don't have to join a frat to do so. Also shoutout to the Kappas who are good at EVERYTHING (except community service of course).

Love the point about most of these members brag more about "what they had to endure" to join the group than the amount of community service they've done before or after joining, what they've done to better their campus/community or the relationships they've built as being part of their fraternity/sorority.

Not maintaining the ideals that the organizations were founded upon - of course not... what would you expect? Black organizations are all (well most) about 100 years old, white organizations have pretty much all surpassed that milestone. As the times evolve so do the missions, purpose, and traditions of ANY organization - take a look at the USA, Christmas, NAACP, hip-hop, free-masons, etc. NONE of these in 2010 are holding true to what their founders set out for these things to represent. Honestly, if you did join for one of the reasons more popular in 2010 than what the org was originally founded on just be real - it's okay that people have different (and in some cases shallow) reasons to join rather than pretend you're in it for something different.

Lastly, you totally did just bash black greek-letter-organizations (please don't call them "Greeks" they are not "Greeks". Greeks have a bronze complexion, live in the Mediterranean and eat baklava and gyros... these people just learned the alphabet while they were "enduring" and walk around with the letters on their sweatshirts while ignorantly mispronouncing them) and then proceeded to use the "some of my best friends" line lol.... nice

Esther said...

Well first I'm impressed? that you spent your Thanksgiving delivering turkeys in DC instead of flying to GA - and offended by those who signed up and didn't go :(

I'm also intrigued that this made you think of fraternities and sororities. Your point about these organizations referring to volunteerism as their main contribution to society - either someone lied to you or you misunderstood... while it may remain one of many components of what makes up many of these organizations it is definitely not, particularly in modern years and specifically at the collegiate level, the MAIN thing that distinguishes them from others. ANYONE can sign up to deliver a turkey - you don't have to join a frat to do so. Also shoutout to the Kappas who are good at EVERYTHING (except community service of course).

Love the point about most of these members brag more about "what they had to endure" to join the group than the amount of community service they've done before or after joining, what they've done to better their campus/community or the relationships they've built as being part of their fraternity/sorority.

Esther said...

Not maintaining the ideals that the organizations were founded upon - of course not... what would you expect? Black organizations are all (well most) about 100 years old, white organizations have pretty much all surpassed that milestone. As the times evolve so do the missions, purpose, and traditions of ANY organization - take a look at the USA, Christmas, NAACP, hip-hop, free-masons, etc. NONE of these in 2010 are holding true to what their founders set out for these things to represent.Honestly, if you did join for one of the reasons more popular in 2010 than what the org was originally founded on just be real - it's okay that people have different (and in some cases shallow) reasons to join rather than pretend you're in it for something different.

Lastly, you totally did just bash black greek-letter-organizations (please don't call them "Greeks" they are not "Greeks", Greeks have a bronze complexion, live in the Mediterranean and eat baklava and gyros... these people just learned the alphabet while they were "enduring" and walk around with the letters on their sweatshirts while ignorantly mispronouncing them) and then proceeded to use the "some of my best friends" line lol.... nice

Esther said...

PS - as to them not boasting about community service - You don't, well you shouldn't, do good things to get noticed. You should do good things to do good things. Just because you don't hear about something doesn't mean it's not getting done... It could be that people just aren't bragging about it, or it could just mean that they're not doing it LOL. Think of it this way Mr. First... how long have you known me and how many community service acts can you name that I've done with or without a group. Although I'm sure you can't name any I do do things... I just don't brag about them and seek recognition.